Train Performance Management
RNE provides a platform for cooperation and coordination related to train performance management:
- The Network of RFC Train Performance Managers
- defines international processes for monitoring and improving train performance management on RFCs
- supports the implementation of train performance management on RFCs and serves as a platform for exchanging the experiences of different RFCs
- defines the set of KPIs applicable to all RFCs, as well as standard train run and punctuality reports
- takes care of the functional improvement of the Train Information System as regards reporting
- The Data Quality Working Group constantly monitors TIS data quality, proposes measures for its improvement and streamlines the data quality process.
PAST ACTIVITIES – Achievements
RNE was involved in several activities in the field of train performance and quality management and improvement. These activities were part of a more complex system promoting quality improvement that included other interested partners (such as the UIC) and their various activities within other frameworks in Europe.
- setting up the 'Train Performance Management process (TPM)' and delivering the Guidelines for Punctuality Monitoring (GPM)
- participating in the ‘European Performance Regime (EPR)' project
- delivering the TPM Cooperation Manual to assist the IMs and RFCs with their TPM-related activities
- establishing the Network of RFC Train Performance Managers to enable an experience exchange between different RFCs and to serve as a platform for communication and agreement on standard procedures, rules, reports, KPIs, etc. applicable by all.
- study of delay coding behaviour: a comprehensive comparison of the rules, methodology and tools used by European IMs to collect, process and analyse data on train runs, more specifically delays and delay causes
- evaluation of real use of allocated capacity: a first attempt to evaluate how much of the capacity that is allocated to RU customers is used in reality and, as a consequence, how much of it is ‘wasted’ (unused).
PLANNED ACTIVITIES – ongoing tasks
- Provide support for the application of GPM (Guidelines for punctuality monitoring) along RFCs and so establish Train Performance Management on RFCs
- Provide support to IMs and RFCs with their TPM tasks, especially by providing performance and data quality reports and graphs (standardised and also customised).
An important task related to TPM is the functional management of the Train Information System (TIS) as data source for performance analyses and TIS Data Quality Management.